TV Packs only

The Big Bang Theory S05E18 HDTV x264-LOL

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Episodes » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#177533] Written by: WBro [23/02/2012, 20:00]
not that i'm overly bothered but it seems a strange choice going for lols .mp4 x264 when the
previous posts were .avis, especially when fqm have an .avi available.

random note: i was going for a new record ratio of 10 before the download finished, then ended up
grabbing the .mkv elsewhere before the other download finished. life isn't fair uploading at 600kb/s
to be downloading at 10kb/s, meh, such is life and torrents and free stuff. enjoy your big bang theory!
[#177538] Written by: jbazhaw [23/02/2012, 20:19]
this is what i found on another torrent, i'll be sticking with fmq for as long as i can.....

heres our answer. hellhammer just posted this in the 'royal pains' comment thread...
the short version: everything is changing to .mp4
for the full answer, read on

as some of you may have noticed tonight, lol is now releasing shows in a new format, and you may be
wondering what is going on. you're in the right place.

recently, a new set of rules were released - the sd x264 tv releasing standards 2012 - intended to
eventually completely replace xvid .avi releases. for those that want to check out the ruleset,
http://pastebin.com/vxkwaw8l .

basically, the scene is moving towards completely abandoning the xvid codec for the superior x264.
there are numerous advantages to the new format:
- potentially smaller filesizes (due to use of crf)
- bigger video resolution (720x406 vs 624x352)
- increased video quality (x264 vs xvid)
- files are instantly playable on idevices etc (no more re-encoding!)

the only major disadvantage is that there are fewer standalones that support x264 than xvid, but
most popular standalones support x264 and aac in the .mp4 container, including:
- tvix
- popcorn hour
- wdtv hd media player
- boxee
- xtreamer
- playstation 3
- xbox 360
- idevices

as with the change to crf for 720p late last year, there are some groups, mainly 2hd and fqm for .us
shows, that are still continuing on as though nothing has changed and so, for the time being, you'll
see both hdtv.xvid and hdtv.x264. like with the crf switchover, every group will eventually make
the
transition as they will otherwise face becoming obsolete.

[#177537] Written by: DoobieDoobieDoo [23/02/2012, 20:19]
if i allow my upload to go over 30kbs, or below 10, the download speed drops off really quickly, at
60 or so up i can only get around 40 down. once they are all finished dl i let them sit seeding for
a while at full up speed. i am not saying this is the same for you, but perhaps try it.
[#177539] Written by: banison [23/02/2012, 20:22]
i'm watching shows on my pocket pc. or should i say, i was. this new format is too much for my little old
machine...
[#177541] Written by: Andysays [23/02/2012, 20:27]
what is with these mp4s and can it please stop?
[#177542] Written by: acce [23/02/2012, 20:27]
it's about time that eztv uses h264! good episode!
[#177544] Written by: paulopinto [23/02/2012, 20:29]
seems like my isp bt cache downloaded this before it was posted here (i don't know how), so i'm
downloading at full speed (1mb/s). so thanks for the uploaders who sent fullspeed to that cache as
well.

btw, .avi (divx) is obsolete now, like .mpeg...
[#177549] Written by: PapaSmurf69 [23/02/2012, 21:01]
Quote by paulopinto
seems like my isp bt cache downloaded this before it was posted here (i don't know
how), so i'm
downloading at full speed (1mb/s). so thanks for the uploaders who sent fullspeed to that cache as
well.

no it isn't. only the uninformed would make such as asinine statement. the overwhelming number of
posts objecting to the mp4's proves that.
[#177556] Written by: Habibi99 [23/02/2012, 21:30]
thanks for the upload , funny!
[#177562] Written by: davik91 [23/02/2012, 22:04]
Quote by papasmurf69
Quote by paulopinto
seems like my isp bt cache downloaded this before it was posted
here (i don't know
how), so i'm
well.

no it isn't. only the uninformed would make such as asinine statement. the overwhelming number of
posts objecting to the mp4's proves that.

sure it's far from obsolete. but h.264 has a better compression/quality ratio. it is the market standard for
high defenition video now (bluray) and it's getting hard finding products that isn't compatible with it.

h.264 is the superior codec.

btw. avi, mp4 are just containers you can have h.264 in avi's and xvid's in mp4's.
[#177564] Written by: Dolphine [23/02/2012, 22:10]
Quote by brygdom
what the hell was that vanity card rant about?
i didn't understand a thing he wrote.

does anybody? in his vanity card last week, he went on about how he doesn't do twitter because he
doesn't get it and the whole letting everyone know what you're up to. yet his vanity cards are pretty
much doing that - irony? maybe charlie sheen was right about mr lorre!
[#177566] Written by: xpmule [23/02/2012, 22:24]
sounds good the scene rules needed updating.
i wonder if this is going to apply to dvd tv rips also ? (i havn't read the rules yet)
i've downloaded many seasons of tv show dvd rips and just deleted them
because of the whole xvid low bitrate butchered video and the
fancy 5.2 hd channel audio lol
its all about size vs quality, so if the scene rules say that for a 30 minute run time
the file size can not exceed 175 mb for example then
take a wild guess what happens then ?
you can have a look at what ratio / size a stream takes up in tools like media info
and i noticed the video quality overall has gone to garbage ever since
tv shows are being ripped from dvd's with 5 or 6 channel audio, simply
because they are robbing the available remaining file size left for the video stream.
and this is noticeable to me because i download sd lower resolution rips and my screen is @ 1080p
and the vast majority of shows i watch look good enough for me.
anyways i really hope something is being done about that
because it seems like a waste to do a crappy job ripping dvd's
a lot of the time no one else will release anything else unless its a proper or non scene share.

this specific show is a good time to make the change, its popular and will get the word out..

lastly the is a good time (if any scene people see my post)
to say thank you !!!
i'd imagine that even if multiple people were ripping shows it would still be a lot of work
and i appreciate all the effort (regardless of what quality / format or whatever)
[#177570] Written by: GldRush98 [23/02/2012, 22:41]
1) if they're updating the scene rules they should also realize modern file systems can actually use
spaces. renaming every file is tiresome.
2) i wouldn't care so much about the switch, except for the fact they decided to do this in the middle of the
prime time season?! great, so now half my season is one codec and half my season will be something
different?

no thanks. i'm done with lol releases for the rest of my current tv seasons.
[#177575] Written by: NicNac [23/02/2012, 23:34]
i agree with gldrush98,

i think its great that the scene are modernising and keeping up with the times so to speak, but it is a huge
pain having the change coming in the middle of seasons.

anyone know a good conversion programme?
[#177580] Written by: cyberjeans [23/02/2012, 23:51]
what thfuck>???? asshole!
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]