Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Episodes » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#206276] Written by: BoonesFerry [10/10/2013, 19:02]

show information page:
http://eztv.it/shows/914/breathless-uk/
show description, air dates, show resources, and torrent links.
updated: october 10, 2013

[#206296] Written by: ockraz [11/10/2013, 04:41]
don draper, md?
damn, i was hoping it'd be a series based on the godard film
[#206342] Written by: veronica lodge [11/10/2013, 22:12]
watched this first episode and was pleasantly surprised. it's not a mad men clone, even
though it's set in the same time as that series' first season.

as a female viewer, i found jack davenport to be of course 'delectable', as one review i read put
it, and the women of the cast to be substantial and interesting.

as a person from the u.s. who lived in london during the 2000s, i'm fascinated by the depiction of
this time period in the uk. it's when the traditional and the new seem to converge; for example,
the nhs has some modern components yet a 'matron' with authority over the nurses who
reminds me of my mother's stories of her university's stern dormitory overseer. and the doctors
and nurses are good-looking people who seem rightly poised to be shaken up by the more
liberated mores of the later part of the decade to come. yet the nurses wear very 'old-timey'
uniforms and are treated like children.

without giving anything away, i'll just say that the way that women are caught between these two
dynamics -- the conservative sexism of the first half of the twentieth century and the latter half's
more liberal movement towards women's increasing freedom -- is a central theme of the
episode, and intriguingly so.

for me, right up there with masters of sex as a new 'period' drama with historical and
visual accuracy coupled with interesting characterisation and stories. i'm looking forward to the
next episode.
[#206379] Written by: ockraz [12/10/2013, 12:35]
Quote by veronica lodge
watched this first episode and was pleasantly surprised. it's not a mad
men
clone, even
though it's set in the same time as that series' first season.

as a female viewer, i found jack davenport to be of course 'delectable', as one review i read put
it, and the women of the cast to be substantial and interesting.

as a person from the u.s. who lived in london during the 2000s, i'm fascinated by the depiction of
this time period in the uk. it's when the traditional and the new seem to converge; for example,
the nhs has some modern components yet a 'matron' with authority over the nurses who
reminds me of my mother's stories of her university's stern dormitory overseer. and the doctors
and nurses are good-looking people who seem rightly poised to be shaken up by the more
liberated mores of the later part of the decade to come. yet the nurses wear very 'old-timey'
uniforms and are treated like children.

without giving anything away, i'll just say that the way that women are caught between these two
dynamics -- the conservative sexism of the first half of the twentieth century and the latter half's
more liberal movement towards women's increasing freedom -- is a central theme of the
episode, and intriguingly so.

for me, right up there with masters of sex as a new 'period' drama with historical and
visual accuracy coupled with interesting characterisation and stories. i'm looking forward to the
next episode.

wow- nicely written overview.
i'm a lot more inclined to check it out now.

ps: "a person from the u.s. who lived in london during the 2000s"

same here minus ten (ie, the 90s)
[#206391] Written by: BoonesFerry [12/10/2013, 19:53]

indeed, very well written. enjoyed reading. thank you, veronica lodge.

ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]