Why is eztv less supportive of 720p?

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » General » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#143179] Written by: NovaKing (Administrator) [03/10/2010, 21:49]
Quote by bla$ter
wrong again. my share ratio is actually quite decent.
also, i fail to see the point. as far as i know, eztv has no tracker on their own, the only seed.
that is also why i don't care very much about eztv as a seeding group, but about eztv as a central
hub for tv releases, news, information and discussion, or, as in other words, not a torrent release
service but a central web news and information and notification service about when new releases are
available without any involvement into seeding. that is what i would like eztv to become and that is
why i would like to see more 720p releases on etzv.

ok, so you basically don't want us to be a public torrent index for tv shows? you would rather
everyone to go onto private trackers and get their shows that way... you know there are other
websites that offer that kind of service. like http://www.tvrage.com/ http://www.tv.com/
http://www.imdb.com/ ?

i don't think you really understand how we operate and what we are about. we are not a private
tracker where users upload the content, we are a distribution group that provide contents to
thousands of people on every show we release. we make sure we provide quality and speed when we
release a torrent to everyone that visits our site. we take pride in what we do.

your suggestion about simply linking to other releases produced on other websites won't occur
anytime soon for many implications. main reason again is people come here because they know what
they get will be exactly what they wanted and they know it was provided by us. i'm sure there are
many people that do the same thing we do, and that is great to see. i don't want eztv to be the only
website that does this kind of stuff. what i would actually love is someone to become a big rival
for us. this will in the end benefit the general public.
[#145296] Written by: wjharing [31/10/2010, 03:02]
i simply like to see anything in hd, as sd on a 52" tv looks crappy, regardless what type of show.
i'm able to find most of the hd stuff on tpb, my only issue is that their rss feeds never works,
while eztv's does.
[#145361] Written by: Echo [01/11/2010, 02:52]
please read:
i have a great idea for eztv for when you add a show!
add the show with the name, season and episode number then to the links for the show add a link for
720p and a link for non-720p, so we don't see the same show twice, and this will take less space on
the mainpage and it will give a better overview.

the reason most people are on the lower quality shows is because they get on the mainpage before the
720p version. if you put the 720p shows up first people will get them first.

almost all 720p shows are released the same time as the lower quality shows, if not earlier.

non 720p releases look really blurry and that's bad for the eyes. it weakens your sight.
[#145373] Written by: sCifI3001 [01/11/2010, 04:03]
Quote by echo
the reason most people are on the lower quality shows is because they get on the
mainpage before the 720p version. if you put the 720p shows up first people will get them first.

um, no they won't, well, maybe the n00bs who get it then come back complaining about the wasted
bandwidth because they didn't read the title before d/l and whine and bitch because they cannot play it

people who want 720p wait days for the 720p

and when it's up first, the others will wait days for the xvid
[#145382] Written by: Echo [01/11/2010, 06:43]
third annual broadband study shows global broadband quality improves by 24% in one year.

europe and america and parts of asia have very good internet connections. i don't see the problem
with people not wanting to get the 720p. try to release hd and not sd for some time as an experiment
and you will see that the shows will have the same amount of peers if not more. one of the reasons
people use private trackers for tv shows is to get quality and of course better speeds, releasing
high quality releases can pull users from private trackers to public.

top internet countries listed:
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_101710.html
[#145400] Written by: sCifI3001 [01/11/2010, 14:43]
Quote by echo
third annual broadband study shows global broadband quality improves by 24% in one year.

europe and america and parts of asia have very good internet connections. i don't see the problem
with people not wanting to get the 720p. try to release hd and not sd for some time as an experiment
and you will see that the shows will have the same amount of peers if not more. one of the reasons
people use private trackers for tv shows is to get quality and of course better speeds, releasing
high quality releases can pull users from private trackers to public.

top internet countries listed:
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_101710.html

well, i and a cpl of billion other people do not live in those areas you listed

i have not and probably never will d/l a 720p , nothing to do with speed, it's the download cap, i
only get xvid's and 2 o/o 3 months go over my allowance (@at extra cost) and the $160/m for my 8/.03
connection with 40gb/80gb cap is about to be downgraded to a lesser plan anyway, same speed, less mb
allowance, but cheaper cost

[#145450] Written by: Echo [02/11/2010, 06:36]
an option would be to release both 720p and non 720p releases, it's not fair that just because some
few people have bad connection the rest of us have to suffer from it.
[#145479] Written by: sCifI3001 [02/11/2010, 14:36]
Quote by echo
an option would be to release both 720p and non 720p releases, it's not fair that just
because some
few people have bad connection the rest of us have to suffer from it.

and the circle is complete
[#145480] Written by: sCifI3001 [02/11/2010, 14:37]
Quote by novaking
there are a number of reasons why we don't do 720p for every show.

1) we have volunteer seeders that push out a lot of data everyday to give everyone the shows they
want. now, add an additional 20 shows, all in 720p, and woah, that is a lot of hdd space and
bandwidth that needs to be pushed/stored, sometimes it is purely unfeasible to be able to provide it.

2) does the show warrant 720p? - we determine if a show has any benefits from going to 720p, if we
feel the person will gain nothing of significance (of noticable significance that will improve the
show watching quality ten-fold), then we will not make our volunteers waste useful resources in
providing it.

3) does a 720p release of it even exist? - sometimes some shows don't even get released in 720p
limiting us from giving it out to everyone.

now, if you feel that we should do more 720p anyways, the best way to help us achieve that is by
helping us get more volunteer seeders! if we can have a large stable volunteer userbase, then we
will have more resources to be able to push out more shows to you all!

[#145529] Written by: TmsT [03/11/2010, 06:56]
Quote by bla$ter

yes, it does matter, because 720p does not only mean a higher screen resolution but also better sound
(5.1 ac3 beats a crappy mp3 stereo in any show), nicely tagged files due to more powerfull container
formats, etc.

the _only_ meaning of 720p is 720 pixels in the horizonal line, (p is for progressive scan).
resolution has nothing to do with audio.
thank you.
[#145659] Written by: Subliminal [04/11/2010, 15:35]
i think somebody is being nit-picky...while 720p does indeed refer strictly to the resolution, i've
yet to download a 720p release which wasn't in dolby digital or dts. kind of comes with the territory.

that being said, i want to thank the folks here at eztv. i don't download too many torrents here as
i also prefer 720p releases, but i do use eztv every day to keep track of the shows, and see what is
new. then i just go to easynews and download what i want to see with the 720p release. although,
hell's kitchen is one of the only shows i can't seem to usually find @ 1.09gb for the hour.

anyway, thanks for making a site for us non-conventional tv watchers!

damon
[#148554] Written by: witness85 [14/12/2010, 02:09]
public trackers do support 720p. tpb is a good example. i recently switched from eztv rss feeds to
tbp for most of my shows, simply because i want quality content. i realise the complications with
distributing 720p, but a lot of countries now have huge data plans and it seems outdated to only
support sd content.

the most frustrating thing (and most likely what supporters of hd content have found) is that there
is no good public distribution of hd content. tpb, while at least providing it, is horrid. i have to
constantly manually filter my rss feeds from duplicates and incorrect releases and every release is
downloaded into folders.

if someone knows of a good way to rss hd content the same way eztv does with sd (no folders and
filtered releases), please let me know.

p.s it seems ridicules to tell people that they should use private trackers to get hd content
because they aren't seeding. one of the reasons eztv is so popular is because it uses public
trackers. if that was a valid argument, eztv would be using private ones already.
[#484543] Written by: Yombo [10/05/2016, 09:28]
Is there a good place to get information on how to set up the RSS feed for eztv in rss downloader of
utorrent? Right now I'm using showrss, but I don't like the folders.
[#484564] Written by: badger50 [18/05/2016, 12:53]
Over the last 3 weeks 60% of my downloads (MKV) have cut out when viewing them on TV via a USB
I either have to convert to an AVI or MP4 or go to another source. Its very annoying is anyone else having this problem ?
[#488267] Written by: Bingewatcher666 [03/02/2018, 17:48]
Any plans for doing 720p x265 releases?
Hate looking on other sites for shows released in newer format.
File size is lower and encoding works well as long as hardware playing file is fairly new.
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]