RSS Status

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Admin's Corner » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#186715] Written by: jackpott [28/07/2012, 05:37]
hi tfeserver,

have you been modifiying the feed in the last couple of days? i'm using rutorrent 3.4, and since
yesterday it keeps downloading the same files over and over again.

cheers
jack
[#186719] Written by: tfeserver [28/07/2012, 07:14]
ups, i suppose thats due to the modification of the pubdate...

i'll keep the old version. thank you for the feed back.
[#186720] Written by: jackpott [28/07/2012, 07:24]
thx for the quick response tfeserver :-)

i spent the last night frantically searching for what might have screwed up my rss configuration

cheers
jack
[#186734] Written by: JRo [28/07/2012, 14:24]
you were only grabbing the pubdate when the file is added, or we're you updating them each time the server goes out and
looks at the site?

having individual pubdate for each file is how the ezrss feeds worked (that's the only reason i requested it), but if the
pubdate changes at all over time, it could confuse the torrent clients (utorrent keeps track of the season/episodes already
downloaded and ignores them if it thinks that a file has been "re-released" (because the pubdate changes)
[#186753] Written by: magao [28/07/2012, 21:15]
realised i didn't have a pubdate on the entries in my aggregate feed:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/eztv-rss-atom-feeds?format=xml

i don't use the feature of ignoring newer releases in utorrent - i prefer to manually select which
matching entry i'll download, so the pubdate wasn't important to me. for simplicity i've added it as the
time that the item was first imported into google reader (which is what i use to aggregate the various
sources) - this date won't change, and should generally be within 1 hour of the actual published date. it
does mean that several entries could have the same pubdate, but normally only if they come from the
same source.

if you could try it out and see how it goes i'd appreciate it.

btw, i've also fixed some cases where ampersands were being double-quoted in titles. the feed now
validates entirely at:

http://validator.w3.org/appc/

except for the unregistered magnet uri scheme.
[#186765] Written by: tfeserver [29/07/2012, 04:04]
i have no database behind the script so i'm just converting the main site to rss every time i run the
script.

the hour of publication on the rss is 00:00 gmt.
[#186777] Written by: moulip [29/07/2012, 06:15]
Quote by tfeserver
i use now a perl module to generate the rss feed so it will work better and,...
generate a more "standard"
file.

it works for you now?

sorry for the late answer, but the feed's still not working.
ezrss is quite erratic too. sometimes i get a 503 error and the second later it grabs the feed again.

[#186795] Written by: magao [29/07/2012, 16:49]
Quote by tfeserver
i have no database behind the script so i'm just converting the main site to rss every
time i run the script.

that would cause problems since you're estimating the pubdate from the "1 day 8 hours" indication. it
means you're never going to get a stable pubdate. you're going to need persistent storage of pubdates if
you want them to be useful.

for my feed that's google reader. i don't bother with published dates from the original source - i just use
the uri as a guid and google reader takes care of whether or not it's new and hence the <published>
element in its atom feed (which i now convert to pubdate before sending it off to feedburner).
[#186829] Written by: tfeserver [30/07/2012, 05:39]
the pubdate is stable but only accurate for date, not time.

maybe i'll do it with database later, but no time for now
[#186831] Written by: tfeserver [30/07/2012, 06:11]
hello,

i don't understand the problem. the rss looks valid on validator.
[#186926] Written by: magao [01/08/2012, 09:29]
utorrent still has a number of limitations with magnet links, so i've made some modifications to my feed
(http://feeds.feedburner.com/eztv-rss-atom-feeds?format=xml) to work around them.

1. utorrent doesn't retrieve the torrent from dht until you start the torrent. until it has downloaded the
torrent it just displays the dn (display name) parameter as the title of the torrent. the downloaded
torrent often contains additional info (such as the release group) which can be useful in deciding which
torrent to actually use.

2. utorrent doesn't use the xl (exact length) parameter so it doesn't display a size of magnet links even
if the xl parameter is supplied.

so, i've made the following changes to make things a bit easier for me, and hopefully others.

1. where i can determine it, i put the uploader/release group at the start of the rss entry title e.g.

[eztv] continuum s01e09 hdtv x264-2hd

this allows matching against the release group in rss filters (knowing that the release group will always
be at the start).

2. i modify the dn parameter of the magnet link to include the uploader/release group as with the title.

3. i modify the dn parameter of the magnet link to include the size of the torrent (where i can
determine it).

this results in a magnet link like:

magnet:?...dn=%5beztv%5d+continuum+s01e09+hdtv+x264-2hd+-+371.15+mb ...

and displays in utorrent like:

[eztv] continuum s01e09 hdtv x264-2hd - 371.15 mb
[#186927] Written by: magao [01/08/2012, 09:31]
btw, i also have a feed for vtv magnet links scraped from tpb which i'm doing the same things to - i
don't know if it would be acceptable to post that here (i'm guessing no one would complain, but this is the
eztv site after all).
[#186950] Written by: Dawter [01/08/2012, 19:59]
Quote by tfeserver
links are available here http://eztv.ptain.info/ , the right column

when i use utorrent to subscribe to the haven feed it says "syntax error."
[#187001] Written by: tfeserver [03/08/2012, 00:34]
whats the url you are using?
[#187045] Written by: Dawter [04/08/2012, 05:05]
Quote by tfeserver
whats the url you are using?

http://eztv.ptain.info/

thank you for your help.