Defiance S01E01 HDTV x264-EVOLVE

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » Episodes » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#198678] Written by: Blackstar [17/04/2013, 14:31]
Quote by wynn
a bit cheesier than it ought to be, but actually not as bad as i thought it would be.

the cheeky one-liners just kills all seriousness, along with some questionable acting from a good
half of the cast. throw in some half arsed cgi and rubber suits and it doesn't bode that well.

all in all decent, but having a hard time seeing it last longer than the season out, which will
unfortunately kill the only half-decent game as well :/

might've bought this 10+ years ago, but it doesn't really hold up in 2013 :/

thing is 10 years ago you would have had alternatives. show this reminded me of most was the babylon
5 pilot. and before anyone gives me grief go back and watch that pilot; it was very much a work in
progress and like b5 i suspect defiance may grow on people.

[#198683] Written by: wynn [17/04/2013, 15:53]
but why o' why have that awfully cheesy "nooooope!" guy in the lead?!

damn, just can't figure out that decision for the life of me. no matter the show, the genre or
whatever it might be, if you have something a la twd season 1 seriousness, you'll most likely
succeed. otherwise it just gets too hard to buy these days.

they could just as well have re-launched firefly and it would've gotten the same ol' fan-base.
nothing against that at all of course, but there's so much more potential and viewers out there
just longing for shows like this without all the cheesiness
[#198699] Written by: Audiovore [17/04/2013, 20:19]
Quote by snusenx
horrible, if this survives a season, i'll eat my shorts.

if garbage like alphas can get two seasons, this definitely will.

Quote by snusenx
if you think this is better than terra n, well... i just got a little sader.
there may be no hope for man afterall

as i said, it's more about the expectations going in based on marketing. tn was suppose to be a jurassic
park/dinoriders scaled down to weekly. could have been cheesy problem of the week, i don't care. as
long as they slapped me in the face with decent dinos every chance, it would've made the pulp list.

i expected this to be like eureka or wh13, with the potential to surprise and go a sgu route, or crash and
burn like alphas.
[#198709] Written by: wrecche [18/04/2013, 00:13]
Quote by snusenx
horrible, if this survives a season, i'll eat my shorts.
there is nothing good about this show. hopeless aliens, generally
terrible acting allover the board.
no potensial, and no future.

its just sad to see people getting fed more and more mindnumbing
crap, and they eat it all up with a smile and a
thankyou.....
just sad

if you think this is better than terra n, well... i just got a little sader.
there may be no hope for man afterall

you.. you're weird. you weirdo.

i keep flicking my thoughts back to parts of the show, and it has strangely grown even more on me.
just looked at teh goggle images and thought "ha.. i actually did enjoy that!" more than i thought i
did.

it's different enough that it sticks out for me. i like that aspect.

and the cheese is a big factor in that for me, i loves me a cheesy meal.

so .. yeah ya weirdo!!!

[#198710] Written by: wrecche [18/04/2013, 00:17]
Quote by blackstar
Quote by wynn
a bit cheesier than it ought to be, but actually not as bad as i
thought it
thing is 10 years ago you would have had alternatives. show this reminded me of most was the babylon
5 pilot. and before anyone gives me grief go back and watch that pilot; it was very much a work in
progress and like b5 i suspect defiance may grow on people.

crikey, that's about spot on. i didn't think of it like that, but it does have a b5 tint.

i think i also like how there is no urgency to explain everything.

that could be due to the fact it was 2 eps in one, and when it's being played out in less than an
hour i may feel differently.

either way, it's not going to be the next best thing. i'll enjoy it for what it is.
[#198720] Written by: wynn [18/04/2013, 04:47]
Quote by wrecche
it's different enough that it sticks out for me. i like that aspect.

and the cheese is a big factor in that for me, i loves me a cheesy meal.

so .. yeah ya weirdo!!!

aye, we can easily agree that it's "good enough". decent. not bad.

but, can you honestly say that you'd rather have all these cheeky one-liners and cheesiness
above something much more interesting and exciting?

it's "ok", but it could've been great, aight? i mean, the dialog. it's incredibly boring and
predictable at best. seriously, go over it, some of the lines just make my insides twist themselves
:/

i'll keep on watching as well, as it is again not directly bad, and i very much enjoy a sci-fi, but my
oh my would i wish they'd taken the more "realistic" and serious approach to defiance. it could've
been great :/
[#198736] Written by: UtahNL [18/04/2013, 09:52]
this was pretty bad, the alien designs were crappy and could have been done 20 years ago.
the cgi was for the most part, horrible(old james bond car scenes come to mind) and in other parts decent.
stu and terranova were at the very least watchable, but this is completely uninspiring.

it was like the producers took some parts from fallout, terranova and farscape and duct-taped them
together with some cliches.
[#198756] Written by: gdmr [18/04/2013, 20:08]
i like it cause it really reminds me on 90s bmovie /series like war of the worlds
ahh i sorta really like this kind of stuff so crappy thats already funny again

serious ? naa , but funny and at least better then whaching most of the brainkilling other stuff
but one thing is really intresting

everytime something real intresting and cricical comes up - like jericho, last resort,.. it never
survives a season but more crapier and dumb it is longer they bring it (warehouse 13 my new hate show)

[#198771] Written by: wynn [19/04/2013, 06:06]
Quote by gdmr
i like it cause it really reminds me on 90s bmovie /series like war of the worlds
ahh i sorta really like this kind of stuff so crappy thats already funny again

serious ? naa , but funny and at least better then whaching most of the brainkilling other stuff
but one thing is really intresting

everytime something real intresting and cricical comes up - like jericho, last resort,.. it never
survives a season but more crapier and dumb it is longer they bring it (warehouse 13 my new
hate show)

quite simple solution actually. don't support the crappy stuff by watching it! ;p

i like a dose of b-movie/series as well as the next guy, but some shows just have potential for
so much more.

in this regard though it makes a bit of sense, because syfy+trion need to sell game copies as
well, and that is more of a 10-29 demographic. if they get the youngsters on board they'll tell
their friends and sell a lot more. why it makes sense with the over-simplified dialog and story-
telling, directed mostly at the younger viewers.

all in all a lot like the cheesiness and cheeky one-liners as we see clearly just here in the
comments. but do they stick to such a show like they would to a more serious one which is
what they really think is interesting? probably not as long. the shows you really like is the
shows you wouldn't miss when "aired".

so let's boycott the cheesiness, haha
[#198826] Written by: burnodo [20/04/2013, 17:58]
woohoo! defiance: a "terra nova"'s terra nova. much more interesting and much more enjoyable.
let's see where they go from here.
[#198919] Written by: patsfangr [22/04/2013, 09:21]
should have a lead that says "for ages 12 and under." terrible acting. vapid writing. a bunch of creatures
from the star wars cafe. low quality cgi. the 2-episode pilot is all i can take of this one. falling skies,
revolution, and walking dead are all reasonably good quality sci fi. this is crap.
[#198938] Written by: Username666 [22/04/2013, 16:02]
Quote by wrecche
oooh ooh!! it's terra nova v2. twist in the story line, but cast from the same mould.

throw in copious amounts of cheesy effects, loads of rubber costumes, and actually not care, and you
have a winner!

it kept me going "...really?" but i still want to watch more. oo

well it was good for a giggle

i guess you one of these "stalker" types that like watching reality tv like big brother and such-
legalised stalking!

people have no imagination these days!
very sad- all they want to do is kill people due to terrorism-which was made by the good ole us of
a$$holes!
[#198952] Written by: BoonesFerry [22/04/2013, 21:58]

Quote by username666
i guess you one of these "stalker" types that like watching reality tv
like big brother and such-legalised stalking!

people have no imagination these days! very sad- all they want to do is kill people
due to terrorism-which was made by the good ole us of a$$holes!

strike 1: make your comments without bashing other members for their entertainment choices.
strike 2: do no bash countries.

one more and you will be banned.

i ask you all to consider the following before commenting further,

no bashing:
other members
country
race
gender identity
national origin
religion
skin color
ethnicity

(cc member inbox)
[#198960] Written by: OmniscientlyMe [23/04/2013, 00:32]
well, at least the premise is better than revolution, alphas and terra nova's. i'll give it at least
a few more episodes at least.
i kind of want it to go two seasons so that we can get a nice shorts eating video.